View Single Post

Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Co-Founder & Moderator

Rosemary Ainslie Circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkham View Post
I'm confused by all this. This thread COP 17 Heater | Rosemary Ainslie has the following quote.

I've just discovered this and have been reading for a few hours. Does the original circuit shown in the Quantum Magazine article work at all, or has it all been just a big waste of time?

Thanks, and sorry if I am missing something obvious.
I saw what you quoted me saying - it is true the circuit "works" as the diagram shows - meaning it oscillates the inductor, produces heat and sends a recharging pulse back to the battery.

However, I was never able to verify a COP of 17.0. The most I seemed to have achieved was about 2.0, but that isn't too surprising. Problem is, batteries don't like to get charged and discharged in an alternating fashion. The voltage will go up on the battery depends on how the circuit is tuned, but the capacity is not going up with the voltage. That means the impedance of the battery is increasing and is forcing the voltage to increase when the spike hits it - not because it's charging but because there is a reduction in the sulfuric acid in the solution of the battery - more is being plated so the impedance goes up.

The most interesting thing I did was make the resistor drop a max of up to 5C below ambient. I remember Harvey chalked it up as being "RF cooling", but I'm not sure how rf is supposed to cool an inductive resistor down. I was also able to use the circuit to wirelessly turn off or turn on all three levels of light on a 3 way touch dimable lamp from across the room by hitting certain frequencies.

Anyway, it doesn't do as claimed and it is a waste of time if that is what you want to achieve. But if you want to experiment with a fun little circuit that does demonstrate the ability to recover some energy from a coil that the common belief says should not be possible, then go for it. It does demonstrate a lot of the same principles as the SG and other circuits that recover the inductive spikes.