View Single Post

Old 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpher44 View Post
I've stumbled upon various interesting youtube videos where people show they
can make very effective batteries using carbon and Aluminium.
Now Hendershot's cylinders were Aluminium (and possibly the magnetic kind).
Hendershot was also rumored to have used carbon rods in his design.
We also know he hand-made his capacitor, by dismantling a perfectly good capacitor, removing the oil, cutting the foil a very special way, to specific dimensions with 3-plates rolled up around the cylinder.

Now, it occurs to me that not only do carbon and aluminium produce a very nice galvanic battery, there is also potential here for thermoelectric power generation.

Imagine carbon doped inside a hand-made capacitor.
Now imagine high-voltage ARCs between the plates and thru the carbon, with high-intensity HEAT at the atomic level in this carbon-aluminium mix.

This could explain why Hendershot's hand made capacitors seem to be damaged inside when you open them.

The power from this reaction may not be the entire story, but it might be useful in starting the machine w/o the need or appearance of manufactured batteries.

Anyway, I think this is an interesting area of research to pursue with respect to reverse engineering Hendershot.
It does seem to require an "initial charge" to excite the unit into operation which requires a reasonable current flow and would justify your theory of a galvanic structure to initiate a charged state. I've never achieved a self sustaining operation but once the caps are charged the whole thing pulses or vibrates. The best I could achieve on the output was lighting a 40 watt bulb at around 30 hz with a very noticeable pulsing both visually and physically. It would run about 30 seconds as the caps transferred energy back and forth until the energy was depleted.

The only schematic that would function like this was the original Aho circuit. The "buzzer" is arranged as Thx stated where both ends are similar poles. This tends to initiate a very high voltage spike upon break.

Once you understand his original 3 coil oscillator you can see what he was trying to achieve with other units. Dr Stiffler created a similar 3 coil PSEC - both of which take an enormous amount of patience to set up.

A good understanding of early microphones and pick up coils is quite helpful also - particularly the balanced armature units also known as the sound powered systems that are still in use today. You can still find the old sound powered headphones on ebay used by the Navy in ships to assure communications throughout the ship if a power failure was to occur. You'll notice one of the pictures of Hendershot standing by one of his devices used an Ader microphone to communicate signals into the device.

I've since moved on to other projects but I must say it was a fun and very challenging experience working with the mans ideas. Truly a genius of his time !

Last edited by dragon; 10-24-2014 at 12:05 AM.