View Single Post

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Formulae and practicality

You will notice that I posted no formulae of my own. I posted generally accepted formulae as a reference point. Iíve read much of the brilliant work of Raoul Hatem. That doesn't mean that I understand any of it. I replicated his work but, I don't have to understand any of his formula to do that. The Aspden effect is real. All that I'm interested in is taking advantage of it. My post is specifically to get others to think about the torque "advantages" related to reciprocating motion.
There is a Chinese wind power company that cautions you NOT to use their wind-gen to pump water. They specifically state that their water pumping windmill will pump 5 times as much water as a wind-gen and electric pump combo. It reciprocates.
The early steam and IC engines were well known for their VERY high torque. They all used long piston stroke and heavy flywheels. This very high torque was attributed to the moment-angle of the connecting rod at the time of ignition. I suspect that the Aspden effect plays a part in the high torque. In this vid of a tractor pull, you can hear the driver throttle back and then throttle up while pulling the sled. He had enough power that he wasn't depending just on flywheel momentum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG0aJ6M1bD8

While it is great that you have figured all of this out, I just want to build a low-input device with high output. All this formulae is over my head.