View Single Post

Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 AM

Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfused View Post
Hi Dave
Funny you mention the motors run faster wired up a certain way..
When I was a kid, my dad and I (well mostly me) raced r/c cars. The modified motors all had replaceable brushes and a person could adjust the timing. You timed it in relation to the brushes and magnets. If I remember right advanced timing gave you more rpm, but more current draw, I..e heat. Wouldn't last as long. Retard the timing and the motor had more torqe but still draws more current. We had to find the sweet spot between runtime and speed. Of course the drawbacks were heat . Maybe a person could adjust timing of the motor to compensate for load on the 3bgs.
Jason
In my runs, timing is a significant variable. My results are always better with more advanced timing. Direction the rotor spins has also been a large factor too. And not only due to timing. My motors allow the brush plate to rotate so I can adjust the timing to my liking for either direction. The winding direction on the stator is what determines optimal results after timing is adjusted for that particular direction. I always tune my motor for optimal charging on battery #2. Everything else will be where you want, if you do that and have the right components. I ALWAYS have found the best results when I split the positives with the motor. I have also found a lower rpm works better than higher. Not sure why. I have had motors that run from a few hundred rpm to 7500 rpm. All on the same 2300 rpm rated chassis. Yeah Dave, I had that MY1016 running at 7500 rpm. Scary. Not done with that one yet. I think @erfinder is about to share that coil topology soon in his thread. Guys, I highly recommend you figure a way to move that brush plate in relation to the fixed PMs in your motors.
My nickels worth.
Good Luck,
Randy