View Single Post

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via MSN to MonsieurM
Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle. (From Vol. 8. of the ... - C. G. Jung - Google Books

+

Quote:
Philemon and other figures of my fantasies brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life. Philemon represented a force which was not myself. In my fantasies I held conversations with him, and he said things which I had not consciously thought. For I observed clearly that it was he who spoke, not I. He said I treated thoughts as if I generated them myself, but in his view thoughts were like animals in the forest, or people in a room, or birds in the air, and added, “If you should see people in a room, you would not think that you had made those people, or that you were responsible for them.” It was he who taught me psychic objectivity, the reality of the psyche. Through him the distinction was clarified between myself and the object of my thought. He confronted me in an objective manner, and I understood that there is something in me which can say things that I do not know and do not intend, things which may even be directed against me.”

C.G. Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections

-----------------

Beauty and the brain: Electrical stimulation of the brain makes you perceive faces as more attractive

Quote:
(Medical Xpress)—Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and—as researchers have now shown—in the brain as well.
Quote:
The researchers, led by scientists at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), have used a well-known, noninvasive technique to electrically stimulate a specific region deep inside the brain previously thought to be inaccessible. The stimulation, the scientists say, caused volunteers to judge faces as more attractive than before their brains were stimulated.

Being able to effect such behavioral changes means that this electrical stimulation tool could be used to noninvasively manipulate deep regions of the brain—and, therefore, that it could serve as a new approach to study and treat a variety of deep-brain neuropsychiatric disorders, such as Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia, the researchers say.
---------

Fractal patterns spontaneously emerge during bacterial cell growth

Last edited by MonsieurM; 06-14-2013 at 12:29 AM.