View Single Post

Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Good replies

CaptainScat, that's a great article on the 1959 Opel T-1 achieving 376.59 mpg in a 1973 contest sponsored by Shell Oil Company. Something does seem wrong, though, with the writer's statement that, "The previous record of 49.73 m.p.g. was broken in 1939 by a 1947 Studebaker achieving mileage of 147 m.p.g." According to that statement, the Studebaker would not yet have existed, and furthermore the Pogue carburetor set a record of more than 200 miles per gallon in 1936 under testing conducted by the Ford Motor Company. Of course that doesn't take anything away from the Opel's achievement. Aside from reducing weight in the vehicle, and utilizing a chain drive, the fuel delivery system was what made this achievement possible. The fuel delivery line was heated and insulated such that only vapors entered the intake manifold. Pre heated fuel vapor has so much faster and powerful burn properties than liquid gas that only a very small amount is needed to fuel and sustain an internal combustion engine.

Now here's an interesting and related tidbit - I once read of a man whose lawnmower engine would not run because the carburetor had clogged. Frustrated, he took a short length of fuel line hose, stuck one end into the gas tank, and the other end into the throttle bore of the carburetor. He squirted in a shot of gas to get the engine started, and to his surprise it actually kept going! Checking the fuel line end inserted in the half filled tank, he noticed that the hose end was not down into the fuel. He pushed it down into the fuel, and the engine cut out. "How could the engine run without sucking in gas," he thought to himself, and wondered, "could the engine actually be running off the fumes?" Placing the hose end above the fuel level again, he started the engine. Again it ran fine. Curious to see how long it would keep going, he timed it and it ran for three hours!

I can remember taking a trip as a youngster, in my dad's 1955 Chrysler. It was late at night, the fuel gage was down on empty, and we hadn't seen any open gas stations. Miles before we ran out, my dad jokingly remarked, "I don't know what's keeping us going. The engine must be running on the fumes by now." He was probably right.

Dambit, thanks for mentioning the book. Actually, much of the information on the website list, referred to in the first post of this thread, comes from that book - Suppressed Inventions and other Discoveries by Brian O'Leary, Christopher Bird, Jeanne Manning, and Barry Lynes, Auckland Institute of Technology Press. Yes, Pacheco's Hydrogen adaptations are very interesting. According to a write up at Suppressed Energy Technologies, "Francisco Pacheco - an inventor from Bolivia created the 'Pacheco Bi-Polar Auto electric Hydrogen Generator' (US PAT #5,089,107) which separates hydrogen from seawater. He has built successful prototypes that have fueled a car, a motorcycle, a lawn mower, a torch, a boat, and most recently in 1990 he energized an entire home in West Milford. After many conferences (including U.N.) and public exhibitions proving the invention's worth, the wider community is still unable to utilize this technology." For a very thorough writeup on the Pacheco story, telling all that he did and all the suppression he faced, look here:
Francisco Pacheco: Hydrogen Generator -- article & patent

Thanks for the posts, and keep 'em coming! Rickoff

Last edited by rickoff; 06-25-2008 at 06:48 PM.