View Single Post

Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM

I read, "On a New Connection for the Induction Coil".

Yes, I believe this is the exact experiment Tesla was referring too and I am mistaken that it was in a University, as the article clearly states it was in a Philadelphia high school.

You are discussing the implications of a Spiral wound induction coil and although this improves performance, a spiral coil is not required to reproduce the effect.

I should point out this article is entitled, A New " Connection " for the Induction Coil and not A New "Type" of Induction Coil. Since this was done in a high school, one could assume they were using an "Off the Shelf" Induction Coil produced for demonstration of induction in a high school environment. There is nothing special about the coils themselves. This induction coil likely used the external primary around an internal secondary, in a cylinder within cylinder configuration.

The key to the effects in this experiment, as I mentioned, is the location and orientation of the spark gap, or break, in relation to the magnetic field of the secondary. It was common practice when building early induction coils, to use the magnetic field of the secondary, and primary, to make and break the gap. If the gap was so positioned, so as to produce a magnetic quenching effect too, then we have a reproduction of Tesla's experiment, on a small scale. The ground connection and large conductor are important as well.

It is this "Magnetically Quenched Spark Gap" which is responsible for producing the necessary "Electrostatic" impulse, not the shape of the coils.
The coils purpose is too transform the voltage, as in any circuit. What is different in this circuit, is the nature of the electrical impulse produced.