Thread: Eric Dollard
View Single Post

Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Thoughts on the Overall View of a Tesla Transformer

I may most likely be wrong, but here are some thoughts I had on the Tesla Transformer as given by Mr. Dollard.

The Secondary Coil is intentionally designed with extra capacitance present in the solenoids distributed constants. I believe, this is to counteract the "loading inductance" attributed to the grounding system.

Conversely, the Extra Coil is intentionally designed with extra inductance present in its distributed constants. Similar to the Secondary Coil, this is to counteract the "loading capacitance" attributed to the end-terminal beer can, dome, sphere or whatever is used.

In both cases the increased parameter (L or C), distributed throughout each distinct coil, isn't wanted but is needed to counteract the parasitic elements seen in an actual system. Therefore, they are necessary "evils", needed to make an actual working system.

Here, the grounding system acts as a one-wire "thru-the-earth" connection to the receiving units, by use of telluric transmission. The end-terminal capacitance, if I'm not mistaken, may act as a "reflecting capacitance", but more importantly, it is used to lower the dielectric gradient around the end-terminal of the extra coil. Here, the end-terminal beer can, or other voluminous metallic object, distributes the flux lines around the surface of the beer can, as opposed to the tip of a wire, thereby lowering the density of the flux to safe levels. This is done to prevent arcing, due to dielectric saturation of the air surrounding the coil. I would think, to achieve the best performance, you would want the end-terminals metallic object to have the LEAST capacitance with the GREATEST surface area. This, to minimize loading and also to reduce dielectric flux density.

When actually testing a built unit, the end-terminal capacity is increased and reduced as a parameter to help bring the whole unit into resonance. Here, the choice for shape isn't necessarily important, but when you tune for maximum performance it becomes an important aspect to address, especially when operating at high voltages. Also, a delay line, a certain length of wire between Extra Coil and end-terminal capacity, may or may not be needed for proper operation, this in itself would impose a certain amount capacitance and its value would need to be taken into account if used. The ring condenser, between the top of the secondary and bottom of extra, capacitance is also a very important parameter to aid in tuning the whole assembly. Last but not least, the primary loop capacitance is yet another parameter to adjust for proper operation.

Now, as for the velocity of the coils, the coil forms and wire jacketing permittivity were not taken into account when you derived your dimensions for construction. These impose extra loading capacitance (from non free-space permittivity), which was not intended. This is the primary evil of a working system. I believe Mr. Dollard has stated that he was able to get a coil to operate at the 157% velocity of c, also Madhatter has stated that one of two coils, that he built, was nearly at that velocity, the other was close but seemed to be loaded by some extra capacitance.

Thus the 124% isn't an absolute value, its only a statistically relevant figure. It would seem almost everyone who builds a coil has about the same parasitic loading capacitance distributed throughout their coils resulting in a figure that is ~124% velocity of c.

I will admit that I haven't done a thorough examination of the subject, and I'm not even remotely qualified to give even an opinion on it either, but I thought it couldn't hurt to give an outline of how I see the whole operation of the Tesla Transformer.

Garrett M

Last edited by garrettm4; 07-19-2012 at 03:09 AM.