View Single Post

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

The Witch Commutator!

Hi

Thought I would share a few thoughts about removing the commutator – which behaves like the witch! Here’s how I got mine off. Using a knife blade remove all the insulation varnish/resin from the rotor face adjacent to the commutator to be removed. Using a fine saw blade, hold the blade flat against the rotor (where the resin has been removed), and draw the blade over the plastic of the commutator, to make a cut, removing just a blades width of plastic all around the commutator , thus exposing the shaft.

The commutator now needs to be pushed up the shaft to remove it. Make 2 tools using 20mm x 3mm x 60mm aluminium. In the aluminium make a saw cut the width of the shaft and about 10mm long, and camphor the end, so it will fit under the commutator. Using this, and a 5 mm nail against the rotor face, you can lever the commutator upwards. Note mine made quite a sharp snap when initially levered up, thought it had broken, it hadn’t. Use the other tool as packing, when you run out of movement.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg com-tool.jpg (47.2 KB, 583 views)