Thread: Eric P. Dollard
View Single Post

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhopa View Post
dR-Green and all other coil builders:
Based on Eric's comment, it seems I have to start all over. So now I will make a new coil form, bake and varnish the wood and so on. The question is if I have a choice to use enameled wire vs. insulated one, which one is the better choice. Does it make much difference if the wire has insulation on it? It looks like with some luck the thickness of the insulated wire, H07V-U
4 sq.mm very close to #11 AWG, is such that I would get very close to the required .62% spacing between the conductors if I close wound it. By the way, how close must we be to that 62%? What is more tolerable larger or smaller than 62% spacing? Any thoughts?
Which comment was that? I used the same extra coil frame as before. I don't know about the enamel vs insulated wire. Eric said before that the height to width ratio of the coil is more important than the spacing to begin with so I went with that. That was because the conductor thickness in the equations didn't match the 62% or something so there was a lot of talk about it. The capacitance will go up with closer spacing and down with bigger spacing, so the frequency will go down with more capacitance and up with less. I assume at 62% it's optimised so the coil doesn't burden itself and doesn't store the energy as Tesla mentioned somewhere, which I suppose is an advantage if the intention is to transmit it.

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall