View Single Post

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoly View Post
I should also note that I do not have the large coils in place - too many distractions. so your thinking that a larger radiant source will make the SSR behave more Like John's could still be correct.
Patrick,

Thank you for your last two posts. Good insights and observations.

To me the FET inside the SSR is just a conduit through which the radiant energy (RE) flows. It doesn't have to dramatically switch large potential differences, it just allows the pulses of RE coming through to pass on to the charge battery. The more RE you put in the faster the charging.

I used to think that the higher the cap voltage the better the dump and charging effect but this doesn't seem to be so in these cap dump circuits. Its the RE flowing into the charge battery. In fact if you monitor the cap voltage of a big wheel SSR cap dump circuit while charging you will notice a gradual rise of voltage as the battery is charging up. This is just because the impedence of the battery is increasing as it charges which slows the flow of RE into the battery so more begins to accumulate in the cap giving rise to higher stored potential we measure as voltage. Its not about voltage its about RE flow and thats why we thought the SSR's didn't work.

As far as the dump voltage goes it seems to me its more of a slowly rising level determined by the size of the coils and the capacitor and amount and rate of RE flow which is regulated by the state of the charge battery.

JB said his cap dumped at around 48V. That may be a nominal reading of cap voltage over the entire charge cycle of his machine and batteries. On my issue ridden 5' wheel my cap voltage tops out at around 43V at the end of the charge cycle and thats without the additional RE from an axle generator.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results you get with the larger coils. You should see a nice boost in charging.

Ron