View Single Post

Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chase View Post
Patrick, it sounds like your K08A is working just not the way you think it should. Here is part of an email I Brent:

"Brent,

Here it is. Because of all the talk over the years about large spikes hitting the negative pole of the battery, Iíve been thinking that if I donít see a big spike or voltage change at the capacitor then itís not working. In reality there are big spikes going into the cap but they are absorbed by the cap and then transferred to the battery through the SSR and only show up as pulses of current flow through the analog meter. The charging is there but if you look at the cap dump voltage you will only see very small increments of change at each trigger. Just tweak your machine to get as high a current pulse at the meter and it will charge fine."

Patrick, what I found with my NE2 cap dump circuit was that the circuit was dumping at 70-75V down to about 60V and disappating lots of heat through the FETS. But it only charged slightly better than the simple SSR circuit, just wasted a lot of energy as heat. Your analogy of the water cascading is good but apparently thats all it takes with the larger Ferris Wheels. JB did say to build big!

I know its not what we expected but nevertheless it works. Maybe it just works better on the big wheels.

Ron
Just a note,
I was using 22AH batteries on my larger wheel and was seeing a lot of those problems as well. I got some deep cycle batts rated at 25 amps 1.6hr. Never knew such a thing existed, but I put those big ol' things (Heavy!) on there and I am seeing a whole different machine.
I suspect that my other batteries just could not handle the spike. I have no way to measure the current dump but my guess is that I was way exceeding what the batteries could handle on the charge side.

Anyway just a hunch but that may have something to do with the ssr not working properly.
The batteries go funny after a while and the SSR has to have something on the backend.

I don't have any idea of a COP at present just started a couple days ago. Big improvement but more like in the 90% efficient range.

Ron, I have been experimenting with something I don't have a good handle on it yet but I can see something new in using super poles for the axle generator. I have some testing to do but something for you to think about. It all relates to things JB has said and ED, and Howard Johnson.
I don't understand some aspects of magnetic gates. They are described as different things. at different times as far as I can see. anyway just something to be thinking of.

Les