View Single Post

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 PM

With that said -- I would like to bring up some relevant information about the water heater.

Felix Ehrenhaft: Magnetic Current --- 9 articles

Quote:
Instead, he uses the iron rods as pole pieces, or North and South ends of a magnet --- either an electromagnet or a permanent magnet. Bubbles of gas rise through the twin columns of acidulated water, to be collected and analyzed. As might be expected, nearly all of the gas is hydrogen, liberated by a commonplace chemical interaction between the iron rods and sulfuric acid, one percent by volume, in the water. But the phenomenal part of the experiment is that oxygen also turns up, Dr Ehrenhaft recently told the American Physical Society. To be specific, it is found in clearly measurable proportions ranging from 2 to 12% of the total volume of gases. When the gases obtained with a permanent magnet are separated, the larger proportion of oxygen is found above the north pole of the magnet. After rigorous precautions that seem to rule out all other explanations --- including short-circuiting the magnet poles with wire, so that the poles will be at the same electric potential --- Dr Ehrenhaft concludes that there is only one place the oxygen can come from. And that is from the water decomposed with a magnet! Without a magnet, pure hydrogen is evolved.
Quote:
There is an interesting sidelight to this experiment. A strong permanent magnet of the Alnico type suffers a marked loss of strength --- say, 10% in 24 hours --- after being used to decompose water, Dr Ehrenhaft observes. In fact, makers of the magnets, which are supposed to last for years without material change, have viewed what happens to them with astonishment and dismay. But no fault lies with their products. Energy from an electric battery is used up in decomposing water, and it would be only reasonable to expect energy stored in up in a permanent magnet to be drained likewise.
What gives the utmost significance to the reported feat of breaking up water with a magnet is the fresh evidence it offers for the existence of "magnetic current", or a flow of magnetically charged particles, which has been suspected by noted pioneers and which Dr Ehrenhaft now maintains he has proved. Confirmation of this amazing discovery would point to a possible future rival of electric current, perhaps capable of being harnesses in undreamed-of ways.
Quote:
Now, just as traveling electric ions form an electric current, why shouldn’t traveling magnetic ions form a magnetic current? See for yourself another of Dr Ehrenhaft’s startling experiments, and draw your own conclusions.
Quote:
This time the heart of the apparatus will be a small glass cell, fitted as before with pole pieces of pure iron that dip into water containing one percent of sulfuric acid. An electromagnet, turned on or off at will, energizes the poles. From a projector, a powerful beam of light converges upon the narrow gap between the pole pieces, and a low-power microscope, mounted horizontally, reveals that happens there. Adding a camera provides a permanent record.

I find this particularly "coincidental", with the recent interest on these forums in the electric feild, in the action when magnetic poles become voided (n/s) each in their respective opposite. This thread is dedicated towards uncovering more about the effect of producing hydrogen gas through magnetic voidance of electromagnets, or permernant magnets (leaving an air gap between the n/s poles in attraction mode).

First, a few "failures"

Plugged directly into the wall, tripped a circuit breaker. Small bubbles formed around the wires at the moment of the spark -- but the current was not sustained. In the below picture you can see the small bubbles -- but I have no before picture to compare it with.

Tested with citric acid, and acetic acid (vinegar) in about 1-2% solution (estimated concentration from percentages on the bottles, plus a calculated ammount of water to make it within this range).

Same mobius cadeseus coil, different power source -- not directly attached to the socket. I ripped apart a small DC transformer -- essentially shorting out the the secondary coils. At the time, I did not realize that the transformer core would get hot instead of actually pushing any current through secondary coils. 9V @ 300 Milli-amps DC output

Bigger transformer -- 24V AC, 1000 milli-amp output

Even with the larger transformer, and putting the load in series instead of as a direct short -- and the 20-gauge wire red/white cadeseus coil -- not a huge ammount happened. Key point, I could tell that the flux was fighting the strongest where the two wires were wrapped around each other (highest surface area being exposed to the opposite polarity).

Here is my Guitar amp signal generator -- took the output leads that would normally connect to the speaker and hooked them up to various coils. This output signal is useful because I have a freeware frequency generator on my computer, and can also synthesize any signal of any hear-able frequency on a program like audacity.

Audacity: Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

My only complaint is that this power signal from the 30-watt amplifier does not produce a very strong magnetic field, and needs many winds on a thin gauge coil to produce a use-able field of a small size. The same goes with the larger gauge wire -- my future tests will be using a longer length of coil to produce a stronger flux feild for the same signal input.