View Single Post

Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netica View Post
Hi Ufo,

I fixed the mistake with the capacitor it's now 50v and polarized correctly. I rebuilt a new circuit to be sure.
I have tested it with a DC motor and it finally works.
I have measured the voltage at the gate and it goes from .06v to 11.3v.
I tried it on the coil, it goes but not with the magnetic power I thought it would. Not like if you connected it straight to the batteries.
I checked the frequency and found it wasn't what I expected, at the low end it it was a bit up and down, I found it mostly around 360 to 460 hertz. The old circuit did the same and was part of the reason I built another.

I connected the coil and the neon for a first test. And this is what I found.

The neon flashes a little at the low end then goes out.
As pot is turned up the neon first lights quite dim then as you turn it up it gets brighter. The circuit was stable for the first time so I could set it where I wanted and turn it on and off at any brightness.

I set it at a reasonable brightness to take some readings of power consumption of the coil.

Voltage was 3.35V
Amperage was 0.5A
That gives us 1.67 Watts.

The neon warmed up when it was on.
It is a 240volt neon rated at 24 watts.
Its hard to relate brightness but I would expect it to be a little brighter in normal use but still a pretty good result I thought.

Also the regulator was running at 38V and .015A thats another .57 Watts.
Still pretty good for 24 watt neon.

When a metal tubing core was placed inside the coil the brightness dropped by half.

Thats it for now.
netica

Hello Netica,

I am very glad you have solved the problems!!, well the Oscillation problems...

Ok, let's go by "parts"...

Quote:
..I tried it on the coil, it goes but not with the magnetic power I thought it would. Not like if you connected it straight to the batteries...
Straight to the batteries?...Well, You are supposed to be connecting it straight to the 38 Volts output from Drain (negative) and Positive from batteries...this does feed batteries but with pulses ...
What Gauge on Coil?...How many turns?

Quote:
.."I checked the frequency and found it wasn't what I expected, at the low end it it was a bit up and down, I found it mostly around 360 to 460 hertz. The old circuit did the same and was part of the reason I built another..."
Frequency at INPUT was 360-460 Hz, right?...How about OUTPUT Frequency (After Diodes to Lamp)?

Quote:
..."When a metal tubing core was placed inside the coil the brightness dropped by half..."
What kind of metal?...why tubing and not solid core?...My first test was on a very solid piece of heavy steel...remember?

The Air or Tubing Cores are for other kind of oscillations....Dual Anti-phase Channels...You've just finished the Single Channel Oscillator to run properly (I guess)...So, no, it is supposed to be on a solid core...and it is suppose to increase light if everything else is fine...

I believe there is something wrong there still, when going up from low hertz...100 to 200 Hertz on INPUT...from Oscillator the neon was supposed to give you the small ball of purple light coming up down...did it do it?
It is supposed to...till you gain more frequency it goes into regular illumination, but brighter...I have used 120 Volts Neons, not 240V.

However I think you have done a lot of progress so far, and I am very glad!!

Cheers

Ufopolitics