View Single Post

Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

Silly circuits

Ok, just for the record I do believe it is entirely possible and even likely that Tesla had a car that ran of some source of power we don't yet understand. But those two circuits shown cannot do anything. Tubes can not produce power. They don't produce voltage and they don't produce current. They can only control the current through them which means the voltage at the plate will vary as the current through the tube is controlled by the grid. The guy that posted that bunch of garbage doesn't even know the proper names for the parts of a tube. The "lower plate" as he calls it is called the cathode, and the upper plate is actually the anode although when referring to vacuum tubes it is usually just called the plate. The controlling element is called the grid. If you supply a couple of hundred volts to the plate through a resistor then there will be a couple of hundred volts at the plate when the tube is turned off. If a signal is applied to the grid and turns the tube on then the current flowing through the tube will cause the voltage at the plate to drop. If the tube is turned fully on then the voltage at the plate will drop to almost zero. A tube is basically a voltage amplifier in the sense that a relatively small signal can control a large voltage. BUT something ELSE has to supply that large voltage to start with. The tube can not just create the higher voltage. That is why the British called them valves, because they controlled the voltage just like a valve can control a liquid. The valve can not create the liquid, it can only control it.

I hope this long winded explanation makes sense. I have worked on all types of tube circuits from radio and TV's to industrial machines that were 80 feet long and powered by tube circuits. Those industrial machines used tubes to control the power going to the drive motors that were sometimes 25 HP or greater.

Carroll