View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrownn View Post
A permanent magnet motor cannot work as a motor for a true Lockridge device as there is a requirement of the motor field coils to interact with the generator field coils in the same way as a transformer.
Thanks for the input. I was able to model net energy gains - indicating either 1) an error in the model (most likely due to linear current/torque and constant terminal inductance assumptions - although the latter does not seem to have a very great influence on the net energy out - only on the discharge time) or 2) that a similar effect can be obtained in permanent magnet DC motors using short duration high-voltage discharges far above the BEMF induced in the motor at the current rotating speed which is in turn limited by the use of a flywheel.

I will have to read up on why the interaction is required - nothing like the sort could be inferred from Electric Motor Secrets Part 2. The basic idea conveyed there as I understood it was pushing huge amounts of current through the armature to minimize the effect of the BEMF loss relative to the driving potential, and doing so in short pulses so that the wires do not burn up. I guess it was a very simplistic explanation, although it was implied that doing the aforementioned should be sufficient. If that is the case, it shouldn't really matter where your field comes from (coils or permanent magnets) as you are not trying to harvest any kickback from the field windings but only trying to pass high current pulses through the armature.