View Single Post

Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Hi Cherryman,

Yes there are quite a few options I have been considering for a while now.

Have a look at these links:

Plasma Flame Theory

Plasma Gas Flow Conversion Calculator for Metco 7MC

Plasma spray processing - Appropedia: The sustainability wiki

One viable option I have been thinking about pursuing is placing an air venturi on the low pressure HHO line from the bubbler. As we can see from the ionisation energies chart Nitrogen has a high energy content per volume, and as the air around us is 78% Nitrogen with about 21% Oxygen it seems a very sensible option, considering it is abundant and free.

The other gases Argon and Helium provide more heat output, but you need to supply them so probably not the most efficient option in terms of infrastructure.

If we look at it from the perspective of using the Hydrogen as a secondary supplemental gas, and for example split the HHO line into two output torches, with the primary gas in both lines being Nitrogen, then we may substantially increase the energy created for the same amount of HHO generation cost.

I have also been considering using an absorber to store the heat, same principle as putting a hot rock into a fire and then dropping it into a bucket of water to boil the water. The only problem I have here is finding a material that will not melt from the plasma flame. HHO flames cut through just about everything and many years ago I tried it on everything I could find, everything melted. One possibility might be some kind of ceramic ?

Interesting stuff anyway, HHO heating, even secondary as a gasifier does now will become much more efficient when we start using Nitrogen plasma as the main gas, because it is free!

Air Composition

Rob

Just a quick note - There would be two ways of doing this:

The first would be as I have already suggested, adding a venturi to the low pressure HHO line, which would suck in a little air, but not that much as it is reliant on the HHO gas pressure passing over the venturi to draw the air in under vacuum, but still worth trying because of it's simplicity. Then compare the results to straight HHO heating and the difference is the efficiency increase.

The second way would be to run a pressurised air line via a Tesla turbine pump, and use the venturi to suck in small amounts of HHO constantly. The Tesla pump can be run from the Turgo turbine shaft with very little cost because the air is such a thin fluid it would not load it very heavily, and we are only looking for low feed pressures, and the infrastructure to drive the pump is already there. The amount of HHO required to generate a flame could then be determined by altering the pump speed. (probably best to run the Tesla pump off a variable motor for testing purposes, and when the correct speed is known hard wire that ratio from the main turbine shaft.

Multiple venturis at different points on the air line would allow plenty of time for the gases to mix before reaching the torch tip. Then it's just a case of seeing what ratios you can get to reliably stay lit and testing the resultant heat output.

Make sure you only conduct these experiments in an open container, do not go sealing it, don't want any explosions now do we

Last edited by evolvingape; 02-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.