View Single Post

Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core View Post
So yes I agree, Why isn't there more discussion regarding wave mixing.
I have considered now for some time that harmonics produced by sympathetic resonance might in fact be 'free' energy, but due to the mathematical relationship between the fundamental and harmonics, it is a harder thing to work with. Wave mixing then is a special case of harmonics where the frequencies don't have as tight a relationship, and is therefore easier to isolate the 'free' portion of the energy from the initiating resonance.

I have also considered that wave mixing allows you to fool Lenz by moving energy from one frequency to another.

The looming question was whether an electric field acting on a coil would affect charge carriers in such a way as to create a modulating effect on the current flowing through the coil. Obviously we can modulate with transistors, but I don't think that will be particularly helpful. Can we do it passively?

I took a toroid with two windings and a signal generator hooked to each winding. When the coils are excited single wire in the megahertz range, at a frequency that rings a bit, I am definitely seeing evidence of mixing. When you have found a single wire resonance, say at 10MHz, and both coils are running at exactly 10Mhz, the spectrum analyzer puts out the usual picture...10Mhz, 20MHz, 30Mhz, etc. As soon as you tune one of the generators off of 10Mhz, you get this beautiful 'fan' of frequencies that are the sums and differences of the two source frequencies. Since both generators end up creating harmonics, and all of those harmonics mix, the end result is a complete hash of harmonics...and very clearly mixing is present.

The only remaining question in my mind is whether loading the mixer output frequencies (or harmonics as well) with a well tuned filter (a bifilar in canceling mode, for instance) has an effect on the originating waves. If not, this may be a ridiculously simple thing to describe, although a bit harder to implement. We'll see.