View Single Post

Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bob View Post
Quote:
He is using copper coated welding rods ( he calls ferrite rod/cu) in his step down to 60 hz transformer. Read above MAGNETIC MATERIAL. His transformer for getting 230 volts 60 hz is magnetic. If you don't believe me, get some copper coated welding rod, make a bundle and put 10 turns of wire on it, put 20 turns beside of the 10 turns. apply 10 volts to the 10 turn coil and you can measure close to 20 volts on the 20 turn coil.
When he said look at the crystal radio, I knew he was going to modulate the system with 60 hz but didn't know where.
Tesla coils are turns ratio tuned with caps.
Zilano even says he uses induction method in his ferrite transformer.
Maybe MR. LTBOLO you should read my last post again.

I am well aware of his use of the welding rods. I believe their function was not to provide a ferrous core for a magnetic transformer, but to subtly alter inductance of the primary for resonance tuning. It is a very different thing to wrap a couple of windings directly on a ferrous rod and push a magnetic field into it and to have a few rods inserted into a 2" PVC pipe to change the tank tuning. I would expect a very small inductive effect to the secondary which was 3" in diameter...especially given that we're talking about an open magnetic core, rather than a closed magnetic pathway...but that won't make it any less of an electric coupling to the primary pushing 60kv.

Having the rods does also offer a potentially nice option for modulating the primary resonance. If the modulating coil causes a slight alteration in the permeability (iron has a very soft saturation curve) that would translate into a slight variation of the tuning of the tank. Given a very high Q tank, a small amount of de-tuning would translate into a fairly significant change in resonance amplitude, which is exactly what it would take for the AM detector circuit to work.

There are really 3 distinct things going on here: 1) a high voltage 35kHz power supply, 2) the gain stage consisting of a high voltage primary coil and an electrically coupled secondary which are both resonant at 35kHz, and 3) a method for converting the raw high frequency power into 50/60Hz. The problem is that Zilano has given 3 or 4 ways to do each part, leading to some confusion. As I understand it, the thing that is absolutely essential is to resonate a primary with a spark discharge to very high VAR, and down convert the extra energy produced in that coil to something useful without killing the resonance in the primary. Everything else is simply implementation detail.

In the end though, my beef with you is the demanding and demeaning attitude. Feel free to disagree with me all day about how it works, but please lay off the attacks.