View Single Post

Old 06-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Looks like a sine wave input is out of the question
I wouldnt say that. The high frequency alternators used by Marconi were actually tesla's invention. They later became known as alexanderson alternators. Either way they were teslas design and he used them a lot for his wireless system. But yes, for his final design he did say he preferred using DC, but either will work. My main reason for suggesting it is because i think its the easiest way to really comprehend how to tune the system and how different things you do effect the tuning. Personally i have found a function generator with a built in frequency counter to be the best learning tool for understanding tuning of the system. I had built oscillator circuits and ran many tests like you are doing and thought i understood the tuning, but it wasnt until i got a decent function generator that i really got a grasp on it. But thats just me.

I looked at your circuit again and it looks to me like a DC resonant charging circuit except you are using a transistor instead of a spark gap. Thats an interesting idea, i like it. I wonder if it would work better if you put in a de q-ing diode between the battery and the inductors. Here is a typical DC resonant charging circuit. See the first capacitor after the bridge rectifier, that is basically your battery. If you add the diode it shoud ensure that no current flows back into the battery before the transistor fires.

So it would look like this:

If you want to read some of the theory of the circuit and why im suggesting to try a diode you can read here:
DC Tesla Coil design