Old 06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Ok done some reading, here.

Comparative Study of the Tesla and Marconi LF Wireless Systems

Interesting Quote's from the page.
Quote:
Power supply waveform

Hertz/Marconi system: perfectly sinusoidal AC at oscillator frequency

Tesla system: dc pulse or square wave at oscillator frequency plus low frequency impulses of great intensity and short duration.

Quote:
I reduced the number of poles, I think, in 1901. But then I reduced it for the purpose of generating currents of higher frequency. If I had a great number of poles, I could not realize my idea, because these poles would come in quick succession and not produce a rate of change comparable to the rate of change which is obtainable by the discharge of a condenser owing to a sudden break of the dielectric. That is to say, a blow. It has to be a blow, you see. I had to place my poles comparatively far apart, then run them at excessive speed and generate comparatively few impulses, but each of those impulses are of such tremendous intensity that the dynamo is practically short-circuited. That gave me a blow which replaced the arc. . . . [NTAC, p. 15]
Quote:
Excitation of propagating medium

Quote:
Marconi antenna / half-wave dipole, the electric field energy and the magnetic field energy are introduced into the field medium in time-phase with each other. The excitation of the medium by the antenna develops an in phase propagation mode shifting to a quadrature phase propagation mode, this taking place over the initial range of transmission; Fresnel zone, also called the radiating near field. The launching structure provides a good initial impedance match with free space resulting in the efficient production of electromagnetic waves.
Quote:
Tesla antennas, electric current in lower half-space; TM surface wave, spiraling electrostatic and magnetic flux lines in dielectric portion of upper half-space; electric current and magneto-hydrodynamic waves in ionized portion of upper half-space. The launching structure is specifically designed to have a poor impedance match with free space. Its configuration inhibits the launching of electromagnetic space waves. Provided with sufficient input power, a large magnifying transmitter is capable of ionizing and breaking down the denser insulating portions of the earth's atmosphere around and above it, rendering this medium electrically conducting.
Quote:
In Tesla’s system the transmitter and receiver are interdependent. The transmitting element consists of three sub-elements, a single coiled wire conductor—a helical resonator—possessing inductance, and two conducting bodies of large surface area in relationship to their greatest linear dimension, which have a mutual electrical charge storage capacity. One of these bodies is the elevated terminal positioned above the resonator. The other body is the earth itself. The receiving element also consists of three sub-elements, a helical resonator and two conducting bodies of capacitance, one of which is an elevated. As with the transmitter, the other body is the earth. It is this common conducting body, which forms the ground connection between the transmitter and receiver through which alternating electric current flows. The other connection required to form a closed circuit is through the air by electrical conduction in plasma and electrostatic induction. The movement of energy is in both directions, from the transmitter to the receiver and visa versa.
Looks like a sine wave input is out of the question.