View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Jetijs's Avatar
Jetijs Jetijs is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,134
No, the neon is needed to protect the transistor. Also you should not leave the motor running with no charging battery attached longer than a few seconds, because so you will damage your tansistor. The neon will protect it for a while, nut not for long. The battery does an excellent job in absorbing those spikes, thats why you do not see them on the scope when the charging battery is attached, but if you disconnect it for a short time, all the spike energy goes through the neon and you can see that on the scope.
It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.
Reply With Quote