View Single Post

Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Nice job ipointless, I played around with a 47uf cap and it all works as you said... could lead to some interesting experiments. I made some measurements and was able to light an LED with a .005ma current draw, not super bright but noticeably glowing. About as low as it gets and still light. Also found some interesting results with a pulsed input.

Great find ! keep up the good work !
Thanks!

Yup its voltage that matters and not amps, but a .005ma current draw is impressive! I've made one version that ran the LED and charge another battery too, so yes some very interesting things can be made.

Hmm, pulsed imput? didn't think of doing that. I've had tought of connecting a joule thief to it but figure the amps would be too low.

So far i know is:

Voltage matters! around 20 volts is prefered.

using a 10uf instead of the 1uf does give off better light.

for some odd reason dead batteries work better? Makes a great circuit to use to recycle your dead batteries.

you don't have to use 9 volt batteries, AA or AAA and even button cells will work; the voltage in series just needs to be higher than 7 volts!

There is more than one way to hook it up.
-you can twist both leads together and connect the top to both leads and it will work.
-you can do top to + and vise versa

For some reason nothing gets warm or hot?

If your building one for the first time its best to use a capacitor that has been used at least once, a dead 9 volt battery with at least 7 volts and above on it, and a super bright red LED.

Aliagtor clips work best for making the connection to the top, for some reason solder wont stick and hot glue is not conductive.