View Single Post

Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the PM and link to your blog site - I had a quick look at your setup and tried to gauge visually the size of everything for some general calculations.

It looks like your toroid cores are about 4" in diameter and the coils that are wrapped around them are about 1/2" in diameter.

Without knowing which cores you are using or how much inductance they add to the system these are really very general overview calculations.

First, you have two coils on each core counter wound and you have 3 cores, so you have 6 coils all together. I don't know if these are in series, parallel or a combination, but the following is based on them being in parallel. Also, you have another set underneath, but the core there is not clear. So I just generalized for 8 coils.

The formula for an air core inductance is (rČNČ)/(9r + 10l)

r = 0.25
N = 32
l = 4pi = 12.56

This gives us approximately 64/(2.25 + 125.60)

Which comes to 0.50 microhenries for each coil.

We already established that your coil wire can withstand 7.4A and you are using a 12V battery. So we are looking for an impedance of about 1.6 ohms max on each coil.

There is a specific frequency that those coils will exhibit a 1.6 ohm impedance. The formula for that is f = XL / (2 pi L) where f is hertz and L is Henries. So to convert our microhenries to Henries we need to multiply it by (10^-6) or 0.000001. So it looks like f = 1.6 / (6.28 * 0.5 * 0.000001)

So your target frequency would be around 509.296 kH. That is very interesting because that is close to the same frequency that John Hutchison was playing around with when he started levitating various objects in his 500kV E-Field. I think he was using a base frequency of 456kH and then tuned his secondary oscillator to beat against that at various harmonic modes.

So if you are running around that frequency and your coil inductance is around 0.5”h and they are eight in parallel, you can expect about 60A of current flow out of your battery.

A #4AWG wire will carry 59.7 Amps. This is the size wire used in Heavy Duty jumper cables. The light duty cables are typically #6AWG which only carries 37.5A

So that gives you an idea of what you need to be using to and from the battery and what ball park frequency you should be running your rig at.

If we had a wiring diagram of how things are connected and accurate measurements as well as information regarding the core material then better numbers could be dialed in. But for now, get some jumper cables and use those for the battery connections and don't let your coils get hot, if they do you will ruin the laquer coating and short the counter windings out. so you may want to put some 8A slow blow fuses in line with each coil.

Cheers!